Dennis Clark Hollingsworth
Born: January 12, 1967 in Hemet, CA
Children: Kenneth H., Nathan C., and Rachel M.
University: CalPoly San Luis Obispo (Dairy Science, 1990 [Did not graduate])
Previous: Member, Property Owners Association of Riverside County Board of Directors
Previous: Member, Murrieta-Temecula Republican Assembly Board of Directors
Previous: Legislative Director, Riverside County Farm Bureau
2007: Assistant Minority Leader, California State Senate
2008: Proponent, Proposition 8 [Gay Marriage] (Passed; 52.3%)
2009-2010: Minority Leader, California State Senate
2011: Member, California Unemployment Insurance Appeals Board
- BEST STAFFER EVER: Regarding his most loyal and intelligent staffer, Hollingsworth noted in November 2014; "Alex Vassar? I don't know who he is. He never was involved in writing any of my bills."
- LEGISLATION: Hollingsworth was the author of SB 1530 (2008), which added the Superintendent of Public Instruction, Insurance Commissioner, and Chair of the Board of Equalization to the line of gubernatorial succession.
- QUOTABLE: "As a former politician and someone in public discourse, I imagine myself a Winston Churchill; thinking up grand speeches and soaring oratory in my morning bath. But the reality I've settled on is the occasional slightly amusing quip on the twitter." (Source: Facebook post, Feburary 25, 2014)
- QUOTABLE: "Any budget deal that requires the Democrats to follow through with a commitment later on; Means that commitment will never happen. Listen to me now and hear me forever. I speak from experience."
- Supreme Court Decision: In June 2013, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that Hollingsworth, as the proponent for Proposition 8 (2008), did not have have standing to appeal the District Court’s order overturning the law. The initiative had defined marriage as being only "between a man and a woman". (Hollingsworth v. Perry, 12-144)
- Natalie Hollingsworth was a 2005 Woman of the Year (36st Senate District) [selected by Dennis Hollingsworth]
Source: California Legislature Handbook (2001-02)