Born: September 24, 1951 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Partner: Douglas Jackson (d. 1990)
1998-2002: Member, San Francisco Board of Supervisors
2000: Delegate, Democratic National Convention
2004: Delegate, Democratic National Convention
2012: Delegate, Democratic National Convention
- LEGISLATION: Author of SB 48 (Chapt 48, Stats of 2011) which required public school social sciences curriculum and textbooks to include information about the contributions of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender Americans.
- LEGISLATION: Author of SB 178 (Chapt 651, Stats of 2015) which prohibits police from searching electronic devices for emails, text messages, geolocation data and other personal digital information without a warrant.
- PENDING LEGISLATION: Author of SB2x5 (2016) which included electronic cigarettes in the definition of "smoking," raising the age for vaping from 18 to 21.
- PENDING LEGISLATION: Author of SB 3 (2016) which will raise the state minimum wage to $15/hour by 2022.
- HISTORIC: In the 2012 General Election, Leno was reelected to the State Senate with 303,241 votes, more votes than any other Senator since the 1966 "Reynolds v. Sims" court decision required equally-populated districts.
Source: California Legislature Handbook (2003-04)