Major John A. Cook
Born: 1796 on the Isle of Wight, England
Married: Jane Wheeler (d. 1849), Jane B. Fulkerson (m. 1851)
Children: Thirza, Nathaniel W., and Emma M.
Died: August 4, 1877 in Santa Clara Co., CA
1841-1844: State Librarian, State of Indiana
Whig from San Diego County in 1850.
- The Indiana State Library's mascot is a bison named “Cookie” to honor Cook.
- There were what appears to have been three different people named John Cook who served in the State Assembly in the 1850s. We are currently in the process of tracking down their biographies.
1) John Cook, a member of the Whig Party (from San Diego County) who served in 1851.
2) John Cook, a member of the Democratic Party (from what was then Yuba County) who served in 1852.
3) John Cook, a member of the Whig Party (from Stanislaus County) who served in 1855.