|11-06-2018||Nonpartisan||Superintendent of Public Instruction||5385912||Win|
Tony K. Thurmond
Born: August 21, 1968 in Fort Ord, CA
Married: Kristin (m. 1999)
Children: Jayden and Maya
2004: Candidate for Richmond City Council (Lost; 6.0%)
2005-2008: Member, Richmond City Council
2008: Primary Candidate for AD-14 (Lost; 24.9%)
2009: Early Primary Candidate for Potential SD-07 Vacancy (Did not occur)
2008-2012: Member, West Contra County School Board
2016: Delegate, Democratic National Convention
- CLOSE CONTEST: During the 2018 General Election, it wasn't until November 12th, six days after the election, that Thurmond first took the lead (by 3,889 votes).
- NOTABLE HISTORY: In the 2016 General Election, Thurmond received 189,530 votes, setting the all-time record for the State Assemblymember to receive the highest number of votes in an election. The record had previously been held by Ted Gaines, who was elected with 166,736 votes in 2008.
- According to an posting on San Leandro Talk, Thurmond "was born in California to a Panamanian mom and an army dad who left for Vietnam and never came back."
- What's in a name? At birth, his named was Clarence J. Thurmond. In the 1980s and 1990s, he identified himself as Tony Thurmond-Krajewski. In the 2004 election, he ran for Richmond City Council as Tony K. Thurmond.
- Army Specialist-4 Donald Joseph Krajewski (with the 16th Artillery, Americal Division) was started his tour in Vietnam on October 4, 1968 (just over a month after Thurmond was born) and was killed in Quang Nam Province, Vietnam on February 28th, 1969. He was two weeks short of his 20th birthday.
Source: California Assembly Handbook (2015)