John M. W. MoorlachRepublican
Johannes Meindert Willem Moorlach
Born: December 21, 1955 in the Netherlands
Children: Sarah, Caleb and Daniel
1994: Candidate for Orange County Treasurer Tax-Collector (Lost; 39.0%)
1995-2006: Treasurer-Tax Collector, Orange County
2006-2015: Member, Orange County Board of Supervisors
2014: Early Primary Candidate for Governor (Declined to run)
2014: Early Primary Candidate for CD-45 (Withdrew)
2021: Candidate for Orange County Supervisor (Pending)
- LEGISLATION: Author of SB 1255 (2016) which permits a married couple’s date of separation to be defined as the date that a complete and final break in the marriage has occurred, even if the couple continue living in the same home. (Chapter 1255, Statutes of 2016)
- LEGISLATION: Author of SB 319 (2019) which would authorize the construction of additional north and south lanes on I-5 and SR-99 freeways and provides that there would be no "maximum speed limit for [these] traffic lanes. (Pending)
- REMOTE VOTING: One of ten legislators (all Republican Senators) who have attended a floor session remotely using teleconferencing equiptment (August 28-31, 2020).
- QUOTABLE: Regarding the extension of California's Cap and Trade program in 2017, Moorlach tweeted: "I don't understand how addressing a minor change in temperature 100 years from now should rest primarily on CA taxpayers." (Twitter, 7/17/2017)
- "Moorlach is a California history enthusiast and served as Vice President of the Gold Discovery to Statehood California Sesquicentennial Foundation Board. He has photographed nearly all of the State’s historical landmarks, a program under the auspices of the State Historical Resources Commission."
"New Calif. law says couples can live separately under same roof" by Bob Egelko, San Francisco Chronicle (7/26/2016)