Kristin Michelle Olsen
Born: January 19, 1974 in Modesto, CA
Married: Rod (div. 2018), Matt Cate* (m. 2022)
1996: Senate Fellow, Senator Tim Leslie
1996-1999: Legislative Aide, Senator Tim Leslie
200?-2010: Assistant Vice President for Communications and Public Affairs, CSU Stanislaus
2005-2010: Member, Modesto City Council
2014-2015: Minority Leader, California State Assembly
2016: Potential Primary Candidate for SD-05 (Declined to run)
2016-2017: Vice Chair, California Republican Party
2017-2020: Member, Stanislaus County Board of Supervisors
- OPEN GOVERNMENT: In August 2011, Olsen was one of the first three legislators to release their office budgets to the public. Freshman Republicans Tim Donnelly, Shannon Grove, and Olsen released up-to-date reports of their expenditures after Rules Committee chair Nancy Skinner declined to release the current reports, citing the Legislative Open Records Act (LORA).
- TECHNOLOGY: At about 2:50 pm on August 22, 2016, Olsen became the first California legislator to use Siri (an artificial intelligence iPhone app developed by Apple) to speak part of a bill presentation on the Assembly Floor.
- On July 1, 2014, it was announced that Olsen had been elected Minority Leader by the Assembly Republican Caucus, but she would not assume office until after the November 2014 election.
- Not related to Kirsten Olsen, who ran for Congress as a Democrat twice.
- Cate served as Director of the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation (2008-2012), Executive Director of California State Association of Counties (2015-2020)