Born: February 22, 1920 in San Francisco, CA
Married: Sylvia Lucille Stevens (in 1940s?), Mary (Founded the Alan Short Center in 1975)
Child: One son
Military Service: USN (WWII)
Died: March 6, 2004 in Sacramento, CA
Previous: Deputy District Attorney, San Joaquin County
1974: Primary Candidate for Treasurer (Lost)
- LEGISLATION: Author of the Lanterman-Petris-Short Act (1971) which, among other effects, ended the involuntary commitment of the mentally ill.
- LEGISLATION: Author (with co-authors Senator Petris and Assemblyman Lanterman) of SB 677 (1967), which required the CA Department of Mental Health "to plan, conduct and cause to be conducted scientific research into... the causes and cures of homosexuality, and into methods of identifying potential sex offenders."
- LEGISLATION: Author, the Short-Doyle Act (of 1957) which established the California Department of Mental Health Services.
- LEGISLATION: Author (with Senators Anthony Beilenson, John L. Harmer and Lewis F. Sherman) of SB 462, the Therapeutic Abortion Act, which permitted a physician or surgeon to perform an abortion in cases of rape or incest, or when doctors determined that the pregnancy "would gravely impair the physical or mental health" of the mother. (Stats of 1967, Chapt. 327)
- PLACENAME: The Alan Short Center, located in Stockton, was the first project of the Developmental Disabilities Service Organization.
Source: California Blue Book (1958), (1961), (1967)