Nicholas C. PetrisDemocratic
Born: February 25, 1923 in Oakland, CA
Married: Anna Vlahos (in 1951)
Military Service: ARMY-OSS (WWII)
Died: March 20, 2013 in Oakland, CA
1957-1958: Member, Redevelopment Agency of Oakland
1960: Alternate Delegate, Democratic National Convention
2010s: Trustee, Junior Statesmen Foundation
- LEGISLATION: Co-Author (with Senator Short and Assemblyman Lanterman) of the Lanterman-Petris-Short Act (SB 677 of 1967) which, among other effects, ended the involuntary commitment of the mentally ill.
- LEGISLATION: The McAteer-Petris Act (1965) created the San Francisco Bay Conservation and Development Commission and regulates the filling of San Francisco Bay.
- PLACENAME: The Nicholas C. Petris Center on Health Care Markets & Consumer Welfare is located in Earl Warren Hall at UC Berkeley.
- The Nicholas C. Petris Lecture (started in 2001) at San Francisco State University is named for Petris.
- PLACENAME: The Senator Nicholas Petris Room (Room 3023) at Sacramento State University is named for Petris.
Source: California Blue Book (1961)
Source: California Legislature Handbook (1983)
Source: A Disorderly House: The Brown-Unruh Years in Sacramento by James R. Mills (Heyday Books; 1987)